Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dilema, Agave plant putting out center flowering stalk. What is going to happen?

It has not produced any offsets around it and it has started to make the center flowering stalk. Is there hope for me to save the plant and if so how do I go about doing it. I can't believe it is doing this as it has only been in my yard for 2 years. How long does it take to make the bloom that is coming out of the center? Can someone help me to save my plant?

Dilema, Agave plant putting out center flowering stalk. What is going to happen?
Don't get too worried yet. It can depend somewhat in the species of agave you have, but even though no offshoots are visible it is very possible that they are still forming under ground and haven't yet emerged. They may even come up after the bloom is spent and the flowering stem has died. I would just enjoy the amazing flowers, and see what happens. If no side shoots are there, there's not much you can do. Cutting off the flower stalk now won't necessarily save the stem from dying. If the moths and/or bats do their stuff and manage to pollinate your flowers from another plant near by, you may get enough seed to grow a thousand more! Agaves start easily from seed, although it could take a few years before they are large enough to enjoy in a landscape. I hope you get some babies. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment