Thursday, May 20, 2010

Can someone hack into my computer to stalk what internet sites i use, c my messages i send on aim,& my docs?

just curious because i know some computer saavy people that could do that just for fun. also im on a mac and they are on pc (dont know if that matters)

Can someone hack into my computer to stalk what internet sites i use, c my messages i send on aim,%26amp; my docs?
The answer has to be yes. We know that someone can install a program to send mail, or do any other action on your computer. So undoubtedly they could see your internet history or AIM messages or your docs. I don't think it makes a difference that you are on a Mac, though the number of available tools are less for a Mac. In addition, Macs are slightly more secure because the basis for the OS is more secure.





I think you should assume that someone could/will look at what is on your computer. So the steps I take are:





1) Clean up all Internet history on a regular basis. You could use the Mac equivalent of ccleaner to clean up your internet history on a regular basis.


2) Securely erase the free space on your disk. I had an employee pull out of the trash a letter that never should have been written by a different supervisor at one point. You should assume undelete can recover files. I use eraser, or window washer on the PCs. I don't know what exists for Macs.


3) Move all information you really want private to a detachable USB drive that requires a password to access the data and encrypts all the data.





Even following these rules don't provide you with complete security. For instance, the page file probably contains the password to the USB drive somewhere in it. However, it is much more secure than what you are doing right now. If you don't care then it doesn't matter, but it sounds like you do.
Reply:Hi!


Spyware known as "keyloggers" can infiltrate computers if the user does not have adequate protection. They are capable of stealing your personal details as well as recording every keystroke you make.


However, don't panic just yet! If you've got adequate protection, you should be okay. For more detaials about security issues, check out this site http://www.mbusbyuk.info/security.html


No comments:

Post a Comment